Delivering efficient and effective background investigations to safeguard the integrity and trustworthiness of the Federal workforce.
For more than a century, NBIB’s predecessor organizations have provided background investigative services to a wide array of Federal departments and agencies. Per Executive Order 13467, as amended, the investigative service was restructured as NBIB specifically to: “serve as the primary executive branch service provider for background investigations for eligibility for access to classified information; eligibility to hold a sensitive position; suitability or, for employees in positions not subject to suitability, fitness for government employment; fitness to perform work for or on behalf of the Government as a contractor employee; fitness to work as a nonappropriated fund employee, as defined in Executive Order 13488 of January 16, 2009, as amended; and authorization to be issued a Federal credential for logical and physical access to federally-controlled facilities or information systems.” NBIB also provides background investigator, suitability and investigative systems training.
Headquartered in Washington, D.C., with locations around the United States and in select foreign countries, NBIB and its senior leadership are focused on protecting the national security and the integrity of the Federal workforce. An agile organizational model and robust talent acquisition strategy, in conjunction with strong relationships with the Performance Accountability Council (PAC) and the Department of Defense, allow NBIB to apply enterprise-wide expertise when developing policies, designing systems, and executing mission practices. NBIB has partnered with DOD to continue to strengthen OPM’s legacy IT environment and to develop, secure, and operate newly architected information systems housing background investigations data.
Core Values of NBIB personnel in pursuit of the organization’s mission to protect the integrity of the Federal workforce:
Because I Protect, I will…
- Integrity: Act with high moral principle and adhere to the highest standards
- Professionalism: Set an example while learning from and mentoring others
- Respect: Treat all others with dignity and respect
- Ownership: Be thoughtful, decisive, and accountable for my successes & failures
- Trust: Perform my duties in an effective and dependable manner
- Excellence: Apply innovative solutions in everything I do
- Collaboration: Establish internal & external customer focused partnerships
- Transparency: Clearly communicate in a proactive and open manner
Back to top